Saturday, September 29, 2018

Naming God 9/26-30/18

26-30 Sept 2018 - Naming God – Manna by Dorothy and Tony

Genesis 16:13 NKJV: “I have now seen the One who sees me.”

Why would Hagar, an Egyptian woman quoted that she has now seen the One who sees her? There’s a reason. Let’s read the story of Hagar.

The story was about Hagar who was Sarai’s handmaid, an Egyptian woman. (Sarai was named Sarah in Genesis 17:15.) It’s been years since God told Abram (Abram was named Abraham in Gen. 17:5), and Sarah they would have a son. Sarah became older and grew impatient for not having a son soon enough.  Sarah resorts to a custom of the day. So she gives her slave, Hagar, to her husband, and Hagar becomes pregnant.

Soon after a few month, there conflict between Hagar and Sarah. So Sarah mistreats Hagar, who runs away. Alone in the deserts, she meets the Angel of the Lord.  New Century Version in Genesis 16:7 “The Angel of the Lord found Hagar beside a spring of water in the desert, by the road to Shur. V8. The Angel said, “Hagar, Sarai’s slave girl, where have you come from? Where are you going?”  Hagar answered, “I am running away from my mistress Sarai.”

V9. The Angel of the Lord said to her, “Go home to your mistress and obey her.”  V10. The Angel also said, “I will give you so many descendants they cannot be counted.”  V11. The Angel added, “You are now pregnant, and you will have a son.  You will name him Ishmael, because the Lord has heard your cries. V12. Ishmael will be like a wild donkey. He will be against everyone, and everyone will be against him. He will attack all his brothers.”

V13.  The slave girl gave a name to the Lord who spoke to her, “You are ‘God who sees me,’” because she said to herself, “Have I really seen God who sees me?”  v14. So the well there, between Kadesh and Bered, was called Beer Lahai Roi. [Note: This means “the well of the Living One who sees me.”]

I want to stop there and ask again, “Why would Hagar, an Egyptian woman quoted that she has now seen the One who sees her? There’s a reason. This slave girl came from Egypt which had a culture of worshiping the multiple gods in images that could not see nor hear. And now she met the Angel of the Lord. [The note from Amplified Bible quoted an Angel of the Lord is identified as Christ Himself in Gen. 48:16, where He is called “the redeeming Angel,” or “the Angel the Redeemer.”]

The ‘gods’ that Hagar was so familiar with and now she met an Angel of the Lord and said, “You are God who sees me.”   And the difference between god, an image who can’t see nor hear prayer and the God who sees her.  The Angel names Hagar’s son, Ishmael, which means “God hears” (v.11).  The Angel of the Lord had heard her anguish cries.

Dorothy: What impressed me? “In response, this slave from a culture with multiple gods that could neither see nor hear gives God the name “You are the God who sees me” (V.13). [Quote from Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Bread]  It was an eye opening for Hagar to know that there is a God who truly cares, who truly hears and sees her. Reading this story about Hagar makes me want to say, “Thank You, Lord, that You are the God who sees us, and yet we can still run to You, to praise You, to love You and to worship You.”  Here’s a song that I found has truly inspires me.  God bless you!

Song: How Can I Help But Love Him
Down from His splendor in glory He came,
Into a world of woe;
Took on Himself all my guilt and my shame;
Why should He love me so?
Chorus:
How can I help but love Him
When He loved me so?
How can I help but love Him
When he loved me so?

2. I am unworthy to take of His grace,
Wonderful grace so free;
Yes, Jesus suffered and died in my place,
Even for a soul like me. (Chorus)

3.  He is the fairest of thousands to me,
His love is sweet and true;
Wonderful beauty in Him I now see,
More than I ever knew. (Chorus).
(Lyrics & Music: Elton Menno Roth, Sing His Praise)

No comments: