Friday, December 16, 2016

Stay Close 12/16-18

16-18 December 2016 - Stay Close – Manna by Dorothy Callies

1 Thess. 5:11 “Comfort each other and edify one another.”

            Have you ever felt lost and have a moment of loneliness that seems strange to you? Sometimes God allows this to let us know that it’s time to reach out for others. I came to notice the devotion, “Stay Close.” 
            Also I remember the song that a deaf lady, Muriel sang, “Close to Thee” at Flint, Michigan, a Deaf Church in 1970’s or 80’s.  The way she sang in sign language with expressive spirit was really beautiful.  It touched my heart.  
            The devotion from ‘Our Daily Bread’ was written by Anne Cetas: “My friend and I were traveling together, and she seemed a bit frazzled (tired and nervous).  When we got to the airport, she forgot to have her identification available and couldn’t find her reservation confirmation number.
            The ticket agent waited patiently, smiled, and then helped her at the “self” check-in.  After receiving her ticket, she asked, “Where do we go next?”  The agent smiled, pointed at me, and said to her, “Stay close to your friend.”
            That can be good advice for all of us when our lives get frazzled—stay close to your friends.  Although Jesus is our best friend, we also need relationships with other believers to help us survive in this life.
            In his first epistle, Peter was writing to believers who needed one another because they were suffering for their faith.  In a few short sentences in chapter 4, Peter mentioned the need to receive and give “fervent love,” prayer, and hospitality (vv.7-9).  He also included the need for believers to use their spiritual gifts to minister to one another (v.10).
            In another passages, we’re encouraged to comfort each other with the comfort we’ve been given by God (2 Cor. 1:3-4) and to build each other up in love (1 Thess. 5:11). When life get difficult, staying close to our Christian friends will help us to get through.” –Anne Cetas.” (End)

Dorothy:  I looked up the word edify and it literally means building up with encouragement and comfort. The word, comfort means to give strength and hope to and ease the grief or trouble.  This is an awesome reminder what two powerful words could for us and for others, ‘Comfort and edify.’  Like the devotion quoted, “Staying close to godly friends, helps us to stay close to God.”

Song: Close to Thee (words by Fanny Jane Crosby, Sing His Praise)
1. Thou, my everlasting portion, More than friend or life to me;
All along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with Thee.
Chorus:
Close to Thee . . close to Thee . . Close to Thee . . close to Thee;
All along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with Thee.

2. Lead me thro’ the vale of shadows, Bear me o’er life’s fitful sea;
Then the gate of life eternal, May I enter, Lord, with Thee.
Chorus:
Close to Thee . . close to Thee . . Close to Thee . . close to Thee;
Then the gate of life eternal, May I enter, Lord with Thee.

Dorothy 

No comments: