Thursday, December 1, 2016

Hide Thou Me 12/1-3

01 03 December 2016 – Hide Thou Me – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Colossians 3:17 NIV, “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.”

I like the story about George MacDonald who wrote the poem called, The Hidden Life.” George as a young Scot (a person born or living in Scotland), was intellectually gifted and he had a very important position in the eyes of other people with a college career. It means that George could have an important permanent occupation or might have a job after he completed the academic studies.  

When George heard that his aging father wasn’t able to handle the family farm himself, George return home to help him out. His friends lamented (expressed sorrow for) what they saw as a waste of George’s talents just by serving or helping his father. George wrote a poem called, “The Hidden Life.” He put together what was called, “ordinary deeds” and “simple forms of human helpfulness.”  

Maybe you may have serve in some unnoticed place, doing everyday deeds and maybe you “feel like” it is a waste of time or even your friends might think that’s a waste. BUT take heed, God wastes nothing.

Every act of love we provide for others, God takes notice of this.  It has eternal rewards. Every place, no matter how small, is very important to Him.  It can be a simple things of human helpfulness like: be there when they need you, listen to them, understanding others, loving them, and praying with them. It brings us closer to God.

This reminds me of a song called, Hide Thou Me. I once sang this in sign language 44 years ago in the hearing church while a young man was singing with his beautiful voice. (I used to wear hearing aid.) There was a deep feeling that comes with a song.

Song: Hide Thou Me
Sometimes I feel discouraged,
     and think my life in vain,
I’m tempted then to murmur,
     and of my lot complain;
But when I think of Jesus,
     and all He’s done for me,
Then, I cry, O Rock of Ages,
     Hide Thou Me.
Chorus:
O Rock of Ages, Hide Thou me,
No other Refuge, have I but Thee,
When life’s dark vale I wander,
Far, far from Thee;
Then, I cry, O Rock of Ages, Hide Thou Me.
(Lyrics and music: L.R. Tolbert & Thoro Harris
                in Melodies of Praise)

May the Lord bless you!

Dorothy 

No comments: