Saturday, October 15, 2016

Mercy Seat 10/15-17

15-17 October 2016 - Mercy Seat – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Exodus 25:22, God said, “And there I will meet with you from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim which are on the ark of the Testimony…”

In the Old Testament, the Ark of the Testimony was a place where God met with His people.  When God said that “He would meet with you” from where? This place was above the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant, under the wings of the two cherubim.

What was the mercy seat covered the Ark with? It has three things: golden pot of manna, two tablets of Ten Commandments and Aaron’s rod. Why would God put them in the Ark?  It was a reminder that His people were rebellion against God over three things: God’s provision of manna for 40 years, God’s standard of living right from Ten Commandments, and God’s authority represent Aaron’s rod to set things in order.

So how could the people be protected from God’s anger for their rebellion against Him? Once a year on the Day of Atonement, the high priest would sprinkle the blood of the sacrificed animal on the mercy seat and so make propitiation for the sins of Israel.

Today, it is not the blood of animals that makes propitiation for our sins, but the holy blood of the Son of God (Romans 3:24-25). The word for “propitiation” in the original Greek text is hilasterion, which actually means “mercy seat.”

So Christ is our mercy seat. His blood speaks for us and puts God on our side.  God does not see our rebellion. God sees the blood of His Son and accepts us!  That is why we can come boldly to Him to obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need (Hebrews 4:16). And because Christ, our mercy seat, covers us with His blood, we are under God’s protection and we are completely healed.

Dorothy: What does this devotion means to me? Propitiation! I struggled with this word every time I see it in the Bible. Until I read Joseph Prince’s Daily Grace Inspiration, Christ is our Mercy Seat. I realized … God had mercy on me and I understood that propitiation, to gain favor from our merciful God, the mercy seat is His grace …”

And there were times I felt a little ‘rebellion’ in me and I wondered why. I was concerned until I read that the mercy seat covered the ark which had three emblems represented man’s rebellion over God’s provision, standard and authority. And that once a year Day of Atonement for were made propitiation for the sins of Israel and to gain favor of God through the blood. The sprinkled blood on His mercy seat!!!

And now I understood that Christ is our Mercy Seat!!!! Jesus interceded for us and covers us with His Blood.  Today I have a fresh start! Thank You Lord for Your grace.

        Song: At Calvary
     (William Reed Newell, Sing His Praise)
Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Cal – va – ry.
  
      Song: The Healer
        (Lois Irwin, Sing His Praise)
Price for the healing was paid
As those cruel stripes were made
Within Pilate’s judgment hall.
Now His suffering gives*
            perfect healing for all.
This wonderful Healer is mine.
Chorus:
He was wounded for our transgressions;
He was bruised for our iniquities;
Surely He bore our sorrows,
And by His stripes we are healed.
     (*affords translate gives)

No comments: