Sunday, December 27, 2015

Happy New Year! (12/27-31)

December 27-31, 2015 - Pressing Toward the Goal – Manna by Dorothy Callies
 [Revised from 12/31/2013]

Philippians 3:13 “… I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead” (NLT).

Paul said that his goal was to know Christ, to be like Christ, and to be all Christ had in mind for him. This goal took all of Paul’s energies. Paul gave us an example that we are to set our eyes on the goal—knowing Christ.  Paul said, “… I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be” (Phil.3:12 NLT).

Paul said, “I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven” (Phil. 3:13,14 NLT).

Paul had reason to forget the past—he had held the coats of those who stoned Stephen, the first Christian martyr (Acts 7:57, 58, Paul is called Saul here). Paul was not proud of what he did. When he accepted Christ, many Christians were not able to accept Paul then. Paul went away for a while to get to know Christ. Later on, Barnabas went to find him and became his friend. Barnabas introduced Paul to the Christians to hear him preach the gospel. They were amazed that Paul became a different man. They forgave Paul and learned to forget what Paul had done in the past.

We have all done things for which we were ashamed of. But our hope is in Christ, and we can let go of past guilt and look forward to what God will help us to become like Jesus. Don’t dwell on your past. Instead, grow in the knowledge of God by concentrating on your relationship with Him now. Realize that you are forgiven, and then move on to a life of faith and obedience. Look forward to a fuller and more meaningful life because of your hope in Christ.

Song: My Lord Knows The Way
My Lord knows the way thro’ the wilderness,
All I have to do is to follow.
My Lord knows the way thro’ the wilderness,
All I have to do is to follow.
Strength for today is mine all the way,
And all that I need for tomorrow.
My Lord knows the way thro’ the wilderness,
All I have to do is to follow.
(Inspiring Choruses)

No comments: