Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Blood of Covenant

Exodus 24:8 “And Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, ‘Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you …’”

What impressed me was that Moses took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. The people responded and said that they would obey the commandment of God. So Moses sprinkled the blood from the basins (bowl) over the people and he said, “This blood confirms the covenant the Lord has made with you …”

The covenant was sealed with Israel through the sprinkling of blood, showing that atoning (make up for the wrong) sacrifices were necessary to keep their relationship with God. The blood is a sign of cleansing and forgiveness made possible by having a life sacrificed to God. Why? This kind of sacrifices opened the way to reconcile with God and the people’s obedience to the faith.

The most important meaning of “the blood of the covenant” was realized when Christ shed His blood on the cross. He had established the new covenant, ‘The Lord’s Supper, the Communion.’ He said, “For this is My blood, which seals the new covenant between God and His people. It is poured out to forgive the sins of many” [Matt. 26:28 NLT].

The importance part of obedience and blood must always be joined together to validate (legal binding) to God’s acceptance of His people and their consecration to Him. Only after the people pledged to obey God through the atoning blood could they participate in the covenant blessings. In a similar way, the apostle Peter states that we are “elect … unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ” (1Peter1:2). It means we are chosen to obey and are sealed by His blood.

Song: Lead Me to Calvary
1. King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest (if) I forget Thy thorn-crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary.
Chorus:
Lest (if) I forget Gethsemane;
Lest (if) I forget Thine agony;
Lest (if) I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary. (Remind me of Calvary)

2. May I be willing Lord, to bear,
Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share,
Thou hast borne all for me. (Then Chorus)
[Lyrics: Jennie Evelyn Hussey, Sing His Praise]

Dear Holy Spirit, help me to remember that Jesus said: “For this is My blood, which seals the new covenant between God and His people. It is poured out to forgive the sins of many” [Matt. 26:28 NLT].  In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

No comments: