Friday, September 25, 2009

Micah the Prophet

“Therefore I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me. Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me.” Micah 7:7-8 kjv

Micah was a country prophet who condemned Judah corrupt rulers, false prophets, ungodly priests, dishonest merchants, and bribed judges. He preached against the sins of injustice, oppression of the peasants and villagers, greed immorality, and idolatry. He warned of God’s coming judgment if they practiced in their evil ways. Micah accurately predicted Israel’s downfall before it happened in 722 B.C.; and same destruction would come to Judah and Jerusalem because of their sins and rebellion against God.

This seems depressed as if there wasn’t any hope at all for Israel, yet God was merciful to give the prophetic message of hope: the coming Messiah and that Israel would rise again. God would bless His people again. (See Micah the Bethlehem)

Prayer to God: “There is no God like you. You forgive those who are guilty of sin; you don’t look at the sins of your people who are left alive. You will not stay angry forever, because you enjoy being kind. You will have mercy on us again; you will conquer our sins into the deepest part of the sea. You will be true to the people of Jacob, and you will be kind to the people of Abraham as you promised to our ancestors long ago.” Micah 7:18-20 ncv

Dorothy: Going through the Bible, book by book really envision who God is. What impressed me is that God always add hope of future Jerusalem after the judgment warnings to Israel. It is my prayer that we would grow to love our heavenly Father more and more. This is why God gave us the Bible to study.

At Billy Graham’s Museum in Wheaton, Illinois, I noticed one line of his biography which he said, “If I had to start over again with my life, I would have taken more time to study the Bible.”