Thursday, September 17, 2009

Joel In Those Days

“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions; And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids IN THOSE DAYS will I pour out my spirit.” Joel 2:28-29 KJV

In the year of 835-830 B.C., Joel predicts a day when God would pour out His Spirit on all those who “call on the name of the Lord.” Approximately, 800 years later, Peter preached on the day of Pentecost and quoted Joel’s writing from Joel 2:28-29. “But Joel the prophet wrote about what is happening here today: God says: In the last days I will pour out my Spirit on all kinds of people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. At that time I will pour out my Spirit also on my male slaves and female slaves and they will prophesy.” Acts 2:17-18 NCV

Peter quoted this passage on the day of Pentecost, explaining that the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on that day was the beginning of the fulfillment of Joel’s prophecy (Acts 2:14-21). This prophecy is an ongoing promise to all who accept Christ as Lord, and all believers can and should be filled with the Holy Spirit.

What this mean to me? God is faithful to His Word. God continues to pour out His Spirit on all who believes in Him and whose hearts are opened to Him. God really wants to fill you with His Spirit. It is like we dive into the pool of water and we swim in the water. It is an awesome experience. God is waiting for you to try Him today.