Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Shelter in the Time of Storm

Psalms 27:5 NIV: For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
Psalms 31:20 NCV: You protect them by your presence from what people plan against them. You shelter them from evil words.
Psalms 61:3 KJV: For thou has been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. Psalms 62:1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God; from him cometh my salvation.

This Psalm reminds us that God is our shelter in times of trouble, affliction, or opposition from enemies. Every believer who trusts in God will say: I will allow no trouble, crisis, or suffering to shake my confidence in God. I will say that God is my salvation and my strength. In times of anxiety or threat, I will commit myself to Him and by earnest prayer; I will tell Him all that is in my heart. I will wait upon the Lord to act and knowing He will respond in mercy and He will answer my prayers.

From the Bread Box, I picked the card of Psalm 61:3 and a song came to me this morning which I remember in a hearing church, and the people sang this song a lot. In the old days, many Christians came to church weary with problems. When they sang this song, they felt released and uplifted spirit and they felt God’s presence so real. Their spirits were refreshed and their souls and bodies were healed. It was an awesome experience to watch God at work among the weary people. After church, they went home with a new spirit in them, ready for the next day’s work.

Song: A Shelter in the Time of Storm
The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide,
A shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A shelter in the time of storm.
Chorus:
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
a weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A shelter in the time of storm.
[Wernon J. charlesworth & Ira David Sankey]

Signs for secure: protection; ill for trouble;
betide for happen; weary for tired.