Saturday, May 25, 2019

Building Character 14 - 5/25-28/19

25-28 May 2019 - Building Character 14 – Manna by Dorothy & Tony Callies
Theme: Forgiveness Builds Character – Series 14

Matthew 18:21-22 Then came Peter to Him, and said, “Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times?” Jesus saith unto him, “I say not unto thee, until seven times: but, until seventy times seven” (KJV).

Mark 11:25 “And when you standing praying, forgive …” Luke 6:36 “Be merciful …” Luke 6:37 “Judge not … condemn not … forgive, and you shall be forgiven.” Ephesians 4:32 “Be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another even as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven you.”

This seems to be “far-fetched” which means not likely character; not easily or naturally thought of.  It means some people find it hard to forgive. NIV quoted, “Seventy-seven times.”  KJV quoted, “Seventy times seven” equal 490 times.  Did Jesus meant that? After some thought between 77 times and 490 times.  I realized what Jesus tried to say, it doesn’t matter how many times you have to forgive, but you open your heart to forgive … just like Jesus and Heavenly Father’s hearts are always ready to forgive.

It seems that God brought back the memory experience with my deaf brother-in-law (now deceased). It started with my ministry with Tony when he pastored a Deaf Church.  I had struggled with a few of the Deaf men in the church who gave me a hard time.  I had prayed about this case with God.

Tony and I went on vacation to California, we stayed at my parent’s home. The next house was my deaf brother-in-law’s home.  We were in the back yard and somehow I faced him and the Lord spoke to my heart immediately, “Confess to him how you hated him for giving you a hard time.”  I didn’t realized that my hatred for him was buried deep in my heart.  I was totally surprised how important this was to God that I am to confess and ask for forgiveness.

So I mustered up my courage and looked at my deaf brother-in-law and said, “Please forgive me for really hated you.”  He responded gladly and forgave me since he knew he had given me a hard time for years. He hugged me.  I had not felt any different by then.  When we came back home to Illinois, there at the Deaf Church, these same Deaf men that I had struggled with, had vanished and we really got along just fine. I saw the result of my forgiving spirit inside of me. I felt the power of God in forgiveness. 

This experience taught me that God continue to encourage us that “forgiveness does build character” that is “to be conformed to the image of His Son” (Romans 8:29).  Christ forgave those who crucified Him and we are to be like Him, so let’s forgive.

Prayer:  Lord, I know that I need to forgive others just as You have forgiven me.  Keep me mindful, Father, that I am never fully liberated until I have been freed from the chains of bitterness—and that You offer me that freedom through Your Son, Christ Jesus. Amen. (Stephen Arterburn, Daily Devotional Character)

May the Lord bless you! 

Dorothy


No comments: