Sunday, May 12, 2019

Building Character 11 - 5/13-16/19

13-16 May 2019 - Building Character 11 – Manna by Dorothy & Tony Callies
Theme: Love Builds Character – Series 11

Love is a very big subject into many details, but for this kind of love that builds character, thought came to me to begin with 1 Corinthians 13:4-8; 13.  But before I start with this, I need to add something first from what I read . . .

Christ made it clear that we are to love God first, and second, we are to love others as we love ourselves (Matt. 22:37-40).  That love is a choice! Why? Jesus commanded this: “Love each other as I have loved you. . .” (John 15:13).  Wow! Love you exactly the same kind of love that Jesus has for you? That is a challenge! That is a choice Christ gave us that we are to love one another the same kind of love He has for us. Oh! Glory!

That’s where “love builds character” started if we are to have the same kind of love that Jesus has toward others.  Okay, so what kind of examples that put love to work?  Let’s read 1 Cor. 13:4-8, 13 from NCV, but after I read it, I decided to make a list of what love is and what love is not . . . so here goes:
 1. Love is patient.
 2. Love is kind.
 3. Love is not jealous.
 4. Love does not brag.
 5. Love is not proud.
 6. Love is not rude.
 7. Love is not selfish.
 8. Love does not get upset with others.
 9. Love does not count up wrongs that have been done.
10. Love is not happy with evil.
11. Love is happy with the truth.
12. Love patiently accepts all things.
13. Love always trust.
14. Love always hopes.
15. Love always remain strong.
16. Love never ends.
17. Love is having tenderhearted (1Peter 3:8).
18. Love is courtesy (1 Peter 3:8).
      May I add:
19. Love is not cranky.
20. Love is not moody.
21. Love does not lose patient.
22. Love does not get mad easily.

How do we really do this? Lay down your life … I laid down my life for my husband. Jesus said, “The greatest love a person can show is to die for his friends (John 15:13 NCV).  Jesus laid down His life at Calvary to save us.  He just simply command us to love one another . . . So we have a challenge: “Love does build character.”

God bless you!

Dorothy
Quoting Scripture: As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, I clothes myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. And over all these virtues I put on love, which binds us all together in perfect unity. (From Colossians 3:12,14 NIV).

Song: I Love You with the Love of the Lord
I love you with the love of the Lord.
Yes, I love you with the love of the Lord.
I can see in you the glory of my King,
And I love you with the love of the Lord.
(Text & music: Jim Gilbert, The Celebration Hymnal)

No comments: