Sunday, July 30, 2017

Be Devoted and News of Tony 7/30

30 July 2017 - Be Devoted – Devotion by Dorothy Callies  (Name add to:  52. Randy and Marti Callies, Tony's brother).

News of Tony:  This Sunday morning, the deaf will meet with Tony visitation and devotion time. The driver will come at 10:50 a.m. to take him into the mobility van to Logan Restaurant so Tony could enjoy the nice change and join with us for lunch and back to BLM Rehab and pay $50.00 to the driver. Last July 23 on Sunday noon, with permission to take Tony out in his wheelchair (for safety), David and I would “wheel” Tony to a half block to Tony’s Diners which is close to Blm Rehab. It was great and it means a lot to Tony.

Acts 1:14 “. . . all with one mind . . . continually devoting themselves to prayer.”

A deep devotion to prayer was always connected to the success of the New Testament church.  Before the Holy Spirit came down in power of Pentecost, the followers of Christ were “all with one mind . . . continually devoting themselves to prayer” (Acts 1:14). The word devote carries the idea of insisting on something and clinging to it.  It’s the picture of a soldier staying close to his commanding officer.  Faithful. Steadfast. Loyal. Standing guard.

After God’s Spirit fell upon them, leading to thousands being saved, the believers were again, “continually devoting themselves” to prayer, among other things (Acts 2:42).  Even when problems arose in the church, such as the widows feeling neglected, the apostles quickly delegated the responsibility to qualified deacons, adding, “But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word” (Acts 6:4).

They just kept sticking to it.  This same priority was instilled in the new churches that were being started, and it remains God’s Word for us today in our lives and in our churches.  “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love . . . rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer” (Rom. 12:10, 12).  “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving, praying at the same time for us as well” (Col. 4:2-4).   [Some part of chapter 3, The Priority of Prayer are quoted from “The Battle Plan for Prayer” by Stephen & Alex Kendrick.]

Dorothy: “Be devoted” really hit a “home run” for me, personally. God helped me to realize the value of devoting my time to prayer. I confess: I had become weary because my thought was, “What’s good is it if there isn’t any instant healing as I would have like to see it happen?”  After reading chapter 3, the part about “Be Devoted”, I realized that God is encouraging me to continue devoting myself to prayer.

Acts 2:42 impressed me that “they were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching . . .” (Translation from KJV quoted, “they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine . . .)  From this I understood the value of apostles’ writing the New Testament Bible that we continue to study from apostles’ teaching the Word of God.

On introduction part of the book, it asked to write down your biggest needs so in my Journal #2, I wrote some, but I ended up with 16 lists of needs including other’s needs. But somehow I wasn’t satisfied.  So I asked God, “What is Your dream for us?” I received a startled answer: “Tony is a brand new man!” I wrote down Tony’s complete healing as a priority, but what God spoke to my inner spirit, seems a different prospective in my mind. It threw me off.

Then Holy Spirit brought up 2 Cor. 5:17 “… if any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature (a new person): old things are passed away; behold all things are become new.” I said to myself, “Oh ye of little faith” because to me complete healing means a big improvement for Tony.  BUT God’s view was different than my view on healing basis. As Isaiah quoted on 55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts . . .” God’s thought is not the same as my thought.  I thank God for stirring up my heart and revived me.  He is a faithful God who cares enough to lead me to read the “War Room” book and stirred up my spirit.

God bless you.

Dorothy

No comments: