Saturday, October 18, 2014

Out of Weakness (10/16-18)

Hebrews 11:33-34 “Who through faith . . . were made strong.”

I was reading the devotional book, “Expect Great Things.” William Carey who was an ordinary man with an extraordinary faith. Born in England, into a working-class family in the 18th century, Carey made his living as a shoemaker. While crafting shoes, Carey read theology and journals of explorers. God used His Word and the stories of the discovery of new people groups to burden him for global evangelism.

He went to India as a missionary and learned Indian dialects into which he translated the Word of God. Carey’s passion for missions is expressed by his words: “Expect great things from God; attempt (try to do) great things for God.” Carey lived out this quote, and thousands have been inspired to do missionary service by his example. His strong belief was in Matthew 28:19-20, Christ’s “Great Commission” was not just to the apostles but to the Christians of all kinds.

I remembered a movie about the story of William Carey, but I don’t remember the title of the movie. When I Google for more information about Carey, I realized it was the same man who had done great things in India. At the Serampore train station there were statues of Ghandi and Carey. The children would learn about Carey in school about great things Carey had done. Carey had great influence and brought inspirations to many.

The Bible tells of many whose faith in God produced amazing results. Hebrews tells of those “who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouth of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong” (Heb. 11:33-34 NKJV).

This devotion inspires me: “Out of your weakness, you can do great things for God!” Together through prayers, we can “attempt (try to do) great things for God and we can expect great things from God.” Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in Me” (John 14:1).

So let us dare to believe that God can do great things among us.  

SONG: LORD, I BELIEVE
Lord, I believe, Lord I believe.
Savior raise my faith in thee
‘till it can move a mountain.
Lord, I believe, Lord I believe.
All my doubts are buried
in the foundation.
(Author, unknown)

No comments: