Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Offended 7

August 27-28, 2013 - Manna by Dorothy Callies

Matthew 26:33 - Peter answered and said unto him, “Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended” (KJV).

Jesus said, “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have all of you to sift you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthens and builds up your brothers.” Peter said, “Lord, I am ready to go to prison with you, and even to die with you.” But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. The rooster will not crow tomorrow morning until you have denied me three times that you even know me” (Luke 22:31-33 NLT).

At that same night, Jesus was arrested at the Garden of Gethsemane and all the disciples fled. Jesus was taken captive and led through into the courtyard to the High Priest’s house to be tried. Peter was following Jesus from afar and warming himself by the fire. Peter was confronted with different people that claimed he was with Jesus, but Peter denied that he even knew Jesus until Peter heard the rooster crowed (Luke 22:54-60). At that moment the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered that the Lord had said, “Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny me three times.” And Peter left the courtyard, crying bitterly (Lk.22:61-62 NLT).

In the midst of all Jesus’ own pain and suffering, the Lord took time to look at Peter. His look told Peter that His Lord had not forgotten him. The Lord still loved and cared for Peter. Christ had prayed for Peter, and the power of that prayer was now moving in Peter’s heart and life. Peter now remembered His Lord’s word and that word began to take effect. Peter ran out of the porch or courtyard as fast as he safely could. He rushed out through the gate into the night to get alone with God. He was broken and full of anguish and pain for having failed his Lord: he “wept bitterly.” Peter repented and expressed godly sorrow.

Do you ever felt like what Peter had gone through? Peter loved Christ so much that he cannot imagine he would ever fail Him, but he did. How grateful Peter was when Christ prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail. All through Peter’s life, his trust and his faith in Christ was what makes him so faithful to Him to the very end of his life. I like the song called, “I Am Praying for You.” It felt like Jesus is praying for you right now whatever you are going through. It is the words of comfort.

Song: I Am Praying for You
1. I have a Savior; He’s pleading in glory,
A dear loving Savior tho’ earth-friends be few;
And now He is watching in tenderness o’er me,
And oh, that my Savior were your Savior too.
Chorus:
For you I am praying, For you I am praying,
For you I am praying, I’m praying for you.
(Lyrics: Samuel O’Malley Cluff, Sing His Praise)

May the Lord bless you today!

No comments: