Sunday, December 11, 2011

Peace 2 Guest: Jane

From December 4th, responding to Bread Box “Peace” from Jane.

Hello Dot,

It was so good to hear from you in spite of being so busy. Funny thing about "Peace". I shared this devotion with the ladies last night (Dec. 3rd) at a Christmas party. It's from "Christmas Prayer", a keepsake devotional for the holiday season. Collected by Renae Brumbaugh.

"Finding Peace"

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

If you ask people at the shopping mall or on the street today to define peace, many of them will tell you it is the absence of conflict. To have peace, we often feel we must remove ourselves for the source of our stress. When we arrive at a place without stress and conflict, we think we'll find peace.

The problem is, no such place exists- at least not here on earth. Oh, we may find temporary peace by changing jobs or changing relationships or planning a beach retreat. But it won't last. It never does.

Jesus offers a different kind of peace. His peace is in spite of circumstances, not because of them. The peace of God travels with us, inhabiting our hearts and minds no matter what is going on around us. When we draw on His peace, we can find tranquility even in the midst of conflict. His peace is there for the taking; all we have to do is claim it, as we call on Him.

Dear Father,

I'm so glad You don't give as the world gives. As I purchase gifts my family and friends this holiday season, I know that my gifts are an imperfect reminder of my love for them. Each gift will grow old or run out, the next year I'll purchase new gifts. But Your gifts are eternal, and they begin the moment we accept them.

Thank you for the gift of Your peace, which I can access any time, simply by calling on You. I'm glad that Your peace can be found even in the most stressful of situations, even in the midst of chaos and conflict. Thank You, Father, for Your peace. Please help me to be a messenger of that peace, carrying it to those I love. Amen.

It was a good one to share. I was the only person that did homework for the party. We were told to share a verse or devotion. The party was nice and relaxing.

May God be with you during this Christmas season.
Jane (from Canada)

No comments: