Saturday, January 31, 2009

Take My Yoke

Matthew 11:29-30 KJV
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Why should a person take up the yoke of Christ? Christ is meek and lowly. Some owners of oxen were mean and harsh both in their training and in their working of the oxen, but not Christ. He was meek and lowly, considerate (thoughtful) and understanding, mild and gentle, long-suffering and encouraging to every person who came to Him.

Christ’s yoke is easy; and His burden is light. The “yoke” refers to oxen’s yoke. The yoke was a wooden collar-like instrument placed on the neck and shoulders of the oxen. It was used for tying the ropes of a plough to the oxen or for tying whatever load he had to pull. It was very important that the yoke be fitted for the shoulders of the oxen to prevent rubbing the flesh raw and causing sores. At first the oxen might have rebelled against the yoke, but he soon learned that it eased the burden of pulling. The yoke refers to a man’s life and work while on earth. The word “easy” can also mean well-fitting. Christ is saying that His yoke, His life and work, are fitted to a person. Christ is meek and lowly. He cares and looks after us; He is concerned. He has compassion, knowing how far we can go and how capable we are.

How do we find rest in Christ? We could simply take Christ’s yoke and begin to learn from Him. This is team work. It means that we are to learn how to live and labor under His leadership, direction, guidance, and care. Jesus said, “Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives. The teaching that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light [Mat.11:29-30 ncv]. Here’s a song that came to my heart.

We’ll work till Jesus comes,
We’ll work till Jesus comes,
We’ll work till Jesus comes,
And we’ll be gathered home…
[Lyrics: Elizabeth Mills;
Music William Miller]