Thursday, January 29, 2009

John Bear Witness of Me

John 5:31-36 NCV
If only I tell people about myself, what I say is not true. But there is another who tells about me, and I know the things he says about me are true. You have sent people to John, and he has told you the truth. It is not that I accept such human telling; I tell you this so you can be saved. John was like a burning and shining lamp, and you were happy to enjoy his light for a while. But I have proof about myself that is greater than that of John. The things I do, which are the things my Father gave me to do, prove that the Father sent me.”

John the Baptist’s ministry was to bear witness of Christ. John had been around two to three years preaching repentance and baptism of water. Jesus said that John the Baptist was His witness [John 5:32 KJV “There is another that beareth witness of Me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of Me is true”]. This is just one of the witnesses about Jesus because Jesus said, “I have greater witness than that of John.” Jesus being the Son of God should be enough to prove the strongest witnesses, but the people always need testimony before they could believe.

The witness of John was that a burning and shining light. His light was clearly seen to be of God, lit by God as the light of God. John showed men the way to God, just as a light shows men the way out of darkness. The people rejoiced in John’s light, but only for a short time. They looked to John as a moment of excitement, listening, and accepting until John introduced Christ, the Messiah. Then John’s work was finished. Now it was the time for all the people to focus on Jesus, the Son of God. The people have a greater responsibility to listen to Him.

Dorothy: With this devotion, we have a responsibility too! Let us believe that Jesus is the Messiah and let us hear His Word, the Bible. I heard Jesus singing this short song. May Jesus bless you!

“Hear Christ’s calling come unto Me,
Come unto Me, come unto Me.
Hear Christ’s calling come unto Me,
I will give you rest, I will give you rest,
I will give you rest…
Hear Christ’s calling come unto Me,
I will give you rest.”