Friday, August 16, 2019

When God Fills Us 8/16-20/19

16-20 August 2019 - When God Fills Us – Devotion by Callies

I just felt like I need to share this kind of devotion that I had read from “Our Daily Bread” written by Adam Holz from March 4, 2019.  That writing inspired me about how he faced the situation and how that verse became clearer to his need. May God bless you as you read this devotion.

Psalm 16:11 “You make known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand” (NIV).

“What had I done?” It should have been one of the most exciting times of my life. Instead it was one of the loneliest.  I’d just gotten my first “real” job after college, in a city hundreds of miles from where I grew up. But the thrill of that big step quickly faded. I had a tiny apartment. No furniture. I didn’t know the city. I didn’t know anyone. The job was interesting, but the loneliness felt crushing.

One night, I sat at home with my back against the wall. I opened my Bible and stumbled onto Psalm 16, where verse 11 promises God will fill us. “Lord,” I prayed, “I thought this job was the right thing, but I feel so alone.  Please fill me with a sense of Your nearness.” I offered variants (different) of that plaintive plea (not fancy prayers) for weeks. Some nights, my sense of loneliness eased (had some comfort), and I had a deep experience of God’s presence. Other nights, I still felt achingly isolated (painfully alone).  

But as I returned to that verse, anchoring (to hold in place) my heart in it night by night. God gradually deepened my faith. I experienced His faithfulness in a way I never had before. And I learned that my job was simply to pour out my heart to him . . . and humbly await His faithful response, trusting His promise to fill us with His Spirit.

Prayer: Lord, we can feel so empty at times. But You’ve made known the path of life.  You long for us to trust You.  Help us to cling (hold on) to Your promise to fill us in our desperate moments.  (Written by Adam Holz, Our Daily Bread, 3/4/19).

Dorothy:  What impressed me? Adam different prayers for weeks.  Some nights, he had deep experience of God’s presence. Other nights, still lonely.  Still held on to that verse 11 night by night.  Slowly God deepen his faith.  New experience with God’s presence and His faithfulness.  Adam learn to pour out heart to Him and wait for His faithful response, trusting His promise . . . “You make known to me the path of life . . .” Ps. 16:11.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for showing me the story of Adam. It blessed me to understand how important it is to trust in You.  I pray that if any Deaf have faced the lonely time, that the devotion of Adam would bless them how he deals with it by turning to Your Word of promises that “You make known to them the path of life . . .”  Thank You, Lord for the devotion. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!

Key: “Wilderness experience is the best teacher for our character building.”  

May the Lord bless you!
Dorothy

No comments: