Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Longsuffering

November 25-28, 2013 - Longsuffering – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Colossians 1:11-12 “God will strengthen you with His own great power that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient. And you will joyfully give thanks to the Father who has made you able to have a share in all that He has prepared for His people in the kingdom of light” [NCV].

King James Version quoted “Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness” [Col.1:11]. The word, longsuffering means patiently enduring lasting offense or hardship. The word, offense means an act of attacking (Merriam-Webster). Another High School Dictionary Thorndike-Barnhart gave a meaning of longsuffering to enduring trouble, pain, or injury long and patiently.

My story was about getting a new royal blue eye glasses when I had to make several trips between Eye Clinic and LensCrafter which irritated me and I wasn’t happy. I couldn’t hide it from the staff and I apologized for my impatience behavior when Eye Clinic made a mistake on the prescription for eye lens. When I thought it was final … again Eye Clinic made another wrong eye prescription.

When I became aware of my lack of patient, the Holy Spirit urged me to realize the importance of “longsuffering.” I learn something about the difference between short patient and long enduring patient. I remember Galatians 5:22 verse had one of the nine fruits of the Spirit was “longsuffering.” So I prayed, “Holy Spirit, help me.” The Holy Spirit spoke to my heart, “Be nice.  Be patient. Look pleasant. Explain kindly.”

So again I met a different staff and I explained all over again what the problem was. Finally, the Eye Clinic gave me the corrected prescription for eye lens. And again, I made another trip to LensCrafter to drop off the eye lens prescription. Two hours later, I finally got my new royal blue eye glasses that helps cut down the light glare for my glaucoma problem. This time I allowed the “fruit of longsuffering” be revealed inside of me. Slowly there was a quiet joy like the Scripture quoted, “longsuffering with joyfulness.”

I wondered my friend if you are going through some crazy situations that might cause you to “pull your hairs, huh?” I think Holy Spirit wants to talk to you about “longsuffering.” I pray that “God will strengthen you with His own great power that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient (with longsuffering).” I believe we need the touch of Jesus to enable us to have “longsuffering” fruit of the Spirit.

Song: He Touched Me
1. Shackled by a heavy burden,
‘Neath a load of guilt and shame;
Then the hand of Jesus touched me,
And now I am no longer the same.
Chorus:
He touched me, O, He touched me,
And O, the joy that floods my soul;
Something happened, and now I know,
He touched me and made me whole.
(William J. Gaither, Sing His Praise)

No comments: