Saturday, March 3, 2018

Marinating! 3/2-4/2018

02-04 March 2018 - Marinating – Devotion by Dorothy Callies

I was searching for deeper understanding what God is doing with our lives.  I know that everything has a purpose even though it seems like it doesn’t make sense. When I read the first chapter of the book, written by Dutch Sheets, the Intercessory Prayer, it gave me a new highlight about God, Himself. I want to share some part of the articles.

Dutch Sheets was writing a story about someone who asked him to pray for a “very ill young person” and when he arrived he learned that ‘Diane’ was in coma. Dutch didn’t really want to pray, however through it all, he shared some interesting experience he had.

Dutch expected the Lord to heal this young lady through prayers in a dramatic, easy, quick way.  After all, that’s how it happened with Jesus. But what he didn’t expect was to invest three to four hours of his life each week for a year (including the travel time) and he didn’t expect it to take so long. He didn’t expect to learn so much.

Yes, God restored Diane! He healed her brain, the outer layer of which the doctors said had been totally destroyed by a virus. She was completely healed. But what kept Dutch Sheets going? He wrote: “It was not just a strong hope I had at this point but a great faith.  I had turned to God many times throughout the course of that year asking Him if He really sent me to this little girl. Each time I received His assurance: “I sent you. Don’t quit.”

Dutch Sheets quoted: “A lack of endurance is one of the greatest causes of defeat, especially in prayer.  We don’t wait well.  We’re into microwaving; God, on the other hand, is usually into marinating. So I persisted for a year, and as I did my faith grew until I knew deep inside we were going to win.” 

“My motto had become Galatians 6:9 “Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary.”  My persistence was rewarded . . . What did I learned from that year-long endeavor? Much, plus a whole lot! And I am still learning.” [End]

Dorothy: What impressed me, “God is usually in marinating.”  I looked up the meaning of word, marinate. It means to soak in a marinade.  Marinade also means a sauce in which meat or fish is soaked to enrich its flavor.  At the store I have seen the word, marinate on bottle and I have used it for meat flavor when pour into bowl and allow the steaks to soak for hours. When I grilled them, the steaks had more enriching flavor. 

This part hits me to understand why God is into marinating with us.  God is soaking us in His Words . . . we quote them . . . we study them . . . we read them . . . that is soaking . . .  To God, He wants more flavor in us by growing into the likeness of Christ . . . oh there are so much to add to this what brings flavor in our lives.

[At that moment I was interrupted and had to stop. Tony was up in the morning so I joined with him to get ourselves ready. It was during those waiting time with Tony, God revealed to me that the marinating, the soaking period of time has something to do with soaking into the very relationship with Jesus Christ. Whatever we go through and waiting on God, He is marinating us . . . He is working inside of us.

 It is so important to believe in God, believe also in Jesus (John 14:1). And allow our relationship to grow in Christ. Oh sweet Jesus! What we go through is all about having relationship with Christ and keeping in touch with Him. Suddenly this song came to me.

Song: Sweet Jesus! Sweet Jesus!
Sweet Jesus! Sweet Jesus!
What a wonder You are!
You’re brighter than the morning star;
You’re fairer, much fairer
Than the lily that grows by the wayside,
Precious, more precious than gold.

You’re like the Rose of Sharon,
You’re the fairest of the fair!
You are all my heart could ever desire.
Sweet Jesus! Sweet Jesus!
What a wonder, You are!
You’re precious, more precious than gold.
(Collection songs out of memory)

Oh may the Lord truly bless you!

Dorothy

No comments: